Release 0.3 Completed !

From the beginning to now; of taking DPS909, release 0.3 has been the most frustrating period. This doesn't have anything to do with writing code or with issues, no. The most frustrating has to be waiting for my issue to be reviewed and watching my code have a conflict with what is in the master on gitHub.

Backtracking for a bit, the main idea of release 0.3 is to have two pull requests, one has to be internal and one has to external. The internal was to have any improvement in our course's blog feed website; planet cdot. The external had to be an issue we found on GitHub like before expect it had to have a more meaningful contribution. 

Internal

The issue I chose to solve was to find a way to have the website be able to translate the text into any language. To find out how to find a way to solve this issue I turn to my favorite helper google. I found some sample code that does what I need perfect but it was powered by google. What I later found out google stopped supplying this service but allowed old sites that had it to still keep the service. So I had to scour the google search to find an equivalent and I found G|translate. It a website that allows it's customers to translate their website with a subscription from G|translate but I able to use their free version.


The code above is what allowed me to give the website the functionality to translate default text to any language that appears in the drop-down box. The problem I had was after I had created a pull request after time has passed I will have a conflict between my code and that was in the master. At one point the whole folder layout has changed and I had forcibly get the telescope project from the master because my version was out of date.

External

For the external, I decided to finish an issue I agreed to complete during the hacktoberfest month but I had trouble with it. The project was written in PHP and since I had to experiences with PHP I was in a bind and with the month I decided to push it to my next release.  So here we are with this issue, it was to change the color scheme of a donut chart depending on the value the data represented.

I had to research how to write PHP and the most trouble I had was to set up the environment. Since I was having trouble I sent a message to the project's creator to ask for help setting my environment. And boy it was an opener since PHP required a server to actually run, I had to download dependencies to get started plus one more dependency that I haven't heard of. Composer, it is an application-level package manager for PHP, provides a standard format for managing dependencies of PHP software and required libraries.

This fix required me to edit two views dashboard.twig and network.twig,  the trouble I had was to figure were had to do the actual editing when I started this project. I had to do a search looking for specific keywords to find those two files.



network.twig
dashboard.twig

 This has been a nice experience, not great but nice. The reason was that when I made a pull request was merged or taken for a review but working on this internal part has been frustrating because every time I go the page to check on my pull request there will conflict that I need to resolve.

External
Internal


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacktoberfest Pull Request #1

Lab 3

Microsoft/Calculator